Sunday, February 1, 2009

Here in Kampala

Yesterday I arrived in Kampala. The trip turned out to be a bit longer than I had expected and included unexpected stops in Boston, and Addis Ababa.

I was feeling pretty jet-lagged when I landed and the customs/visa experience at the airport was pure East Africa. But, the moment I was on the road from Entebbe to Kampala I could feel my energy returning. With such constant movement: moto-taxis, cars, goats and cows, little children, and women with babies on their backs, it's hard to know where to look. The sensory overload extends to the ears with music blaring from our my own taxi's radio, occasionally being overpowered by a passing taxi-bus, or the stereo speakers mounted out front of a barber shop. The smells are generally good and I've gotten used to breathing though my mouth when they're not. The weather is a beautiful 33 degrees today. It feels pretty hot, but I wouldn't dream of complaining. Last night it cooled down to below 20. I've been told that it has been raining lately, although it is supposed to be the dry season. Although, the rains here tend to come in hour long downpours followed by sun.

My taxi driver, Mr. Nice* was very helpful. I was thinking of staying at one of the hostels that were reviewed by the Lonely Planet, and asked him if any of them were near Nysambya hospital. He said no, and told me that he knew of one that was. So, he took me to CANLET, the Cardinal Nsubuga Leadership Training Centre. It's some sort of Catholic training centre, so I think many of the guests are priests and nuns. There is a restaurant and breakfast is included. Plus, it's very close to the hospital.

Nysambya is on the outskirts of the city. Luckily there is an Internet cafe attached to the hostel but unluckily it doesn't let me on to the blogger website. Hopefully I'll be able to find a convenient option soon.

Tomorrow I start work at the hospital. I'm not completely sure what to expect. One of the people from CANLET told me that a, "Lady Canadian Doctor" had been staying there recently and that she had been working at the hospital. I also noticed that the MSF compound is next door. Once I'm more settled in I might drop by and try to make friends.

*Stage names are popular among Ugandans who work in the tourism industry. Mr. Nice is also the name of a fairly well known East African hip hop artist. I asked him if he was related and he told me that his real name was Amal.

1 comment:

  1. You made it safe and sound! Wooo hoooo! What would your stage name be if you were a Ugandan working in the tourism industry?!?

    ReplyDelete